Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Barry is "Home Free"


Odessa, TX   March 21, 2017

This is a day on the Excellent Tourbus Adventure that shall not soon be forgotten but rather than being of the “shall not be spoken” – “shall not be mentioned” variety it will be shouted to the rooftops and to whoever will listen that I have the greatest Sweetie-Pie in the whole entire world! For several years now I’ve been following an a cappella group that I first saw on a show that aired on NBC called “Sing Off” that I don’t think is even on television anymore.  Home Free competed in and won the fourth season of that show and I’ve been in love ever since.  I’ve downloaded all their albums and every time they post a new music video Barry becomes a conscripted viewer.  Love them.  Just sayin….

Flashback to Christmas morning  2016 and guess what?!!?  I’ve got tickets IN MY HAND for HOME FREE in a benefit performance in Odessa, TX.  All I’ve gotta do is get there and, nope, that’s already arranged, too!!  And, now, here I am.  I didn’t have any idea what to expect.  Their music videos are pretty great but they just kinda stand there and sing – incredible singing - usually in great locations, and they are really cute but still I just didn’t have an expectation other than I knew I was going to hear some really great music from the mouths of really talented guys.

I am here to tell you that boy by howdy I was just blown away by their concert!  From the very first song to the very last curtain call they just outdid anything I could have imagined.  Their beatbox voice, one of the founding members of the group, Adam Rupp is I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E – sounds beyond weird for me, a woman of a “certain” age to be raving about a beatboxer but wow, just wow!  The other founding member of their group Tim Foust is their bass singer and his vocals vibrated clear through your chest – like subsonic whale language or something.  Well, this is going off kilter here and not sounding at all like what I want you to know about this experience.  They entertain, chat,
This is a picture they took that night and had everyone post to Facebook.
engage social media, dance, and in general provide a world class performance that threatens to turn me into to some kind of Senior Citizen Home Free Groupie and ain’t nobody that wants that! 

For those of you who know me, and knew my mother, you’ll get what a BIG HAIRY DEAL this next bit is – their pre-finale, finale song was – wait for it – How Great Thou Art!!!! I mean REALLY?!!?  I just couldn’t believe it.  Their finale was Ring of Fire in which the bass nearly vibrated my eardrums out.  I L-O-V-E-D every single minute of it and think you’d need to search high and low to find a man that would buy not only you a ticket but one for himself, one for my beloved big brother and one for his wife my wonderful sister-of-the-heart, too.  Then he took me to Texas on an Excellent Tourbus Adventure and let me watch birds until my eyes popped out and we got through the whole entire trip without much swearing or yelling.  And then we got to have this kind of great time and the trip isn't even over yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment