Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dateline: BIRTHDAY DAY! HOORAY!

Around 7 this morning we were awakened from a sound sleep in our comfie motorhome bed by a literal riot of bird noise.  We all came bailing out of our rigs and rushing around the campground, initially in robes, only to discover the much-coveted sighting of Red-crowned Parrots had come to us!  What a 'Happy Birthday to Me' start to my day!  They were top of the list of things we wanted to find and they were rocketing around the campground like they had been specially ordered!  So cool.  After we recovered sufficiently to get organized we headed out for the World Birding Center at Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park.  We weren't 5 minutes into the park before our loving and devoted son, Scott, called to announce that we were headed toward the Rio Grande and were advised to 'not be stupid!!' In fact he may have even said, "Turn back you idiots or I won't be able to help you!"  There may have been an additional discussion of who was to get the house should we be abducted by the cartels..I can't be sure given the next set of events.

We entered Bentsen-Rio Grande State Park, took a little tram ride around the birding sites and immediately charged back to the concessionaire to rent bikes - yep - bikes - yep....Barry on a bike.  I know you can all picture me on a bike but, really?  Barry on a bike??  We were in Texas though so no helmets were required.  So, I guess it was still reasonably cool -- well, you all be the judge:


Barry and Beth - Look Who's Thrilled...


Wick & Gwen

I cannot possibly emphasize enough how great a place this was.  No one fell off their bikes, no pants cuffs were caught in chains, nobody was run down in the tour...this was a perfect day and boy, by howdy did we see birds!!

I'm going to give a partial list, a couple of pictures taken in a genuine photo blind and, wait for it....what was termed a "Lifetime Sighting" description!!!

First time sightings for us included: Altamira Oriole, Great Kiskadee, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, Black-crested Titmouse, Vermillion Flycatcher, Green Jays, Clay-Colored Thrush, Chachalaca, Cardinals, and Pyrrhuloxia.  These are all beautfiul birds - I mean it! Beautiful!  Look 'em up!  You'll be amazed! The most amazing thing of all though was getting to sight a very, very rare Black-Vented Oriole....I mean it!  Incredible!  We and everyone else we could find to tell was very impressed!!  We are still being eluded by the Green Kingfisher and the Indigo Bunting but we will soldier on tomorrow.



Black-Crested Titmouse and (below) Green Jay and Redwing Blackbird
Well, the day wasn't over and it WAS my birthday so we made our very hot and sweaty way back toward the Rio Grande to see if we could catch the Santa Ana World Birding site before closing...that may have been a part of the problem...We scooted in about an hour before sunset thinking we'd just look around and get the lay of the land for tomorrow's itinerary....It was beautiful too...


I mean did you have any idea that Texas had swamps like this?  I can only say that we were lured out onto the trail with the waning daylight.  Yes....we had read the sign stating that the park closed at dusk.  Yes...we had seen the locking gate as we entered.  But, and for of those of you who know her, you'll be amazed, Gwen led us out on this tiny little misadventure.  We had read that Santa Ana contained our best shot at sighting an Ocelot (YES! An Ocelot!) and that our best shot was on the Jacarandi Trail at dusk-ish times, so...off we went.  After what seemed like miles everybody stopped to peruse the sign (yeah, okay, maybe should have done that first).


It's How Much Further??!!??
Oh boy!  Barry went into instant doom and gloom mode.  We then had a forced march ala Bataan out of that place.  I'm not kidding here...I have the blisters to prove it!  Might have helped had I worn something other than sandals today but...who knew I would be escorted at virtual gunpoint out of the joint.  We saw lots and lots of poop, which I wanted to photograph for the blog but nobody was waiting for me and I was already the last man in the line and thus the target of any hungry Ocelot's who happened to be waiting in the brush - so no poop pictures.

More adventures to report tomorrow.  Thanks to one and all who called, texted, sang, and emailed.  I had a really wonderful birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment