Friday, February 11, 2011

Happy 40th Birthday Scotty!

Although this post may get me in a little trouble, I can't help myself!  Check out these pictures!  When have you seen a happier group on the face of the planet??!! Well, maybe not Scott - he kinda of looks a little constipated or maybe disgusted or maybe just embarrassed but what the heck, the rest of us were having a grand old time!





We all headed to Disneyland to surprise Scott on the occasion of his Big 40! The actual truth was that he whined and complained so long and loud about my plan to be out of town for his birthday that I had to rearrange all travel reservations for the month!  You have to understand that although my children were treated regularly to Disney trips despite our poverty as a young family, Scotty was never, ever content to just go to Disneyland - no - he always wanted a balloon, an all-day sucker, a pair of ears, a battery operated whatever and even an invisible dog - I'm telling you it was endless!  Some of our loyal readers have by now guessed that, yes, on this most prestigious of all birthdays our little Scotty was showered with every desire of his deprived little heart. 

I have two favorite stories that come out of this day.  Perhaps my number one favorite moment was the woman who upon encountering us all in line for the Buzz Light Year attraction, lets her eyes wander across all our shirts and smiling faces.  She then begins to search the area nearer the ground looking for the birthday boy...she searches and searches...finally her eyes light on Scotty's size 12's and begin the slow traverse up his entire 6' frame until they alight on his school-bus yellow search which declares "SCOTTY"  
With that she becomes completely hysterical, announcing for all bystanders, "I thought it was a child!"  Yep, hilarious.  We trapsed around both parks with incessant shout-outs from every employee and multiple 20 to 30 something males yelling, "Yo, SCOTTY, Happy Birthday!"  He, of course, loved it and each and every time, after careful consideration the rest of us would agree, "Yep! Still funny!"

My second most favorite moment was after Scott began carrying his giant wiener dog, Dwight, which was won in California Adventure for an investment of a mere $30 worth of baseballs and the compassionate pity of the cast member who provided assistance to the lame throwing process of the gentlemen of our party.  At any rate, we are standing in line at Midway Mania and Scotty is thoroughly enjoying the entertainment value of his new best friend, Dwight - Dwight is being made to sniff intrusively at others in line, star impolitely at nearby families and even life his stuffed leg against a pole.  I'm barely hanging on to my dignity when I look up and make eye contact with another woman about my age standing ahead of us in line and taking it all in.  Thinking I've found an ally, I give her an eye roll and am met by her commentary, "Well...it IS his day, you know!"

Sigh....I do think he had a good time and we know it was "ALL ABOUT SCOTTY!"



Happy Birthday Scotty!

1 comment:

  1. And sooo clever my mommy thought she was, buying all those trinkets my heart desired for some many years. She failed to plan for the fact that being a parent myself now, I realize the dread of hauling all the crap along and so I bestowed my burden on 7 other families by passing those seemingly innocuous treasures to their young ones who would soon relegate them to the stroller or unsuspecting parents' arms.

    My favorite came when I spotted an 8 year old Hispanic boy and upon him declaring it was indeed his birthday too, I pointed out the unsuspecting mother and said, "See that lady over there?" He shook his head with an affirmative nod, to which I replied, "She's crazy and keeps buying me all this crap." The child and his respective family's stunned look was quickly replaced with surprise and gratitude as I bestowed upon him his very own seizure inducing flashing light sword and proclaimed him the lucky beneficiary of the crazy lady's antics. I walked away as he happily swung his new found light stick to and fro without regard for those around him, his parents cries could be heard in the distance as I walked away...."Stop hitting your sister with that or we'll take it away." A Happy Birthday to all and to all a very merry crying fitful end to your day in the happiest place on earth.

    In all seriousness, I was quite surprised not to be escorted from the park as a pedophile approaching small children promising gifts under the auspice of our shared birthdays. All I can say is at least I wasn't led away by security being declared a "Code 417G, it's a cop." You'll have to ask him about that story.

    The bright yellow shirts did serve an excellent role not only because I gained about 30,000 complete strangers as my new best friends, but because upon becoming separated for the group at any point all you had to do was inquire about the giant horde of people that looked like a big banana slug in order to be quickly reunited with our loved ones.

    Thank you all for the wonderful birthday surprise filled with laughter, family and great stories to pass on to future generations. I can see it now, huddled around a campfire somewhere in the middle of nowhere...remember the time mom.............

    ReplyDelete