Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dateline: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 Seattle, WA

While cooling our jets here in Seattle awaiting Wick's latest blood tests and the all clear to proceed toward San Antonio, Beth has returned to her much lauded roots as a domestic goddess. Now, I'd like to first short circuit any critical or unkind remarks my darling children may be tempted to allow out of their mouths at this point.  As an honorable person of integrity I am willing to acknowledge that in recent history my attention to this long ago talent of domestic goddessery has received less than my undivided attention - although there was one day while Karen was visiting recently that I took what was leftover from Barry's culinary magic of the night before and created a truly edible casserole. 

Although my offspring appear loathe to admit it, I once could cook, can and sew.  I've picked a mountain of peaches and cherries in my day and slaved many an hour over hot stoves to produce canned goods.  I even have pictures of the cute little outfits I sewed for my children to wear - well, not Bud - I'd quit all that by then but still...

Here is proof positive of my transformation back to the creative homemaking roots of my youth.  This first picture is of me crocheting.

Yep, that's me with a #G crochet hook in hand and a skein of yarn on my lap.
For any of you who have ever scrapbooked with me you will note that I have my scrapbook mouth on so I must be doing something!

Now, I know you are going to say I might have just been faking it - I know your father certainly had some unkind and ungenerous things to say about my ability to concentrate long enough to do the necessary counting of stitches for any project but - HAH!

A magnificantly crafted potholder that actually matches the motorhome decor!!        

Well, folks, hold onto your hat because later in the afternoon I hiked out into the wilderness preserve adjacent to our campsite and PICKED, yesiree bob!,  PICKED! wild blackberries!  Lots of wild blackberries!  Quarts and quarts of wild blackberries!!  What, you might ask am I going to do with all those wild blackberries?  I'm going to make Wild Blackberry Pepper Jam - some of you may have previously been allowed one tiny bite of this delectable goodie when we received a jar from Greg and Jeannie for Christmas last year.  But...upon my eventual return to hearth and home I will be in possession of 14 - count 'em - 14 jars of said delectable jam product made by my own little loving hands.  So HAH!
                   

Proof of actual blackberry picking.

My last words to you my dear children and other potential houseguests or Christmas jam recipients:
Be nice or no jam for you!

There is a big lesson to be learned here as well - Gwen accompanied me into the wilderness and picked her little fingers purple and thus she will receive a share of the jam.  Can you say Little Red Hen?

3 comments:

  1. Jam Nazi! That is a very nice pot holder that does indeed match the tour bus. While warned not to speak ill of the post, no such warning was given regarding my thoughts. Just know, I'M THINKING LOTS ABOUT THIS POST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... first I don't know what to say about your son's profile picture. I'm pretty sure that's a cookie on his belly... and now I'm cracking up laughing some more... of course only a little bit more because as warned, I'm only saying nice things about your post. Really more because jam sounds good. Does thinking about helping you pick berries get me in the good. I'm sure the red hen was kind to those who were so far away but would've helped if near :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,
    Uh, yep, that's a cookie all right. Did you notice the little tiny straw hat perched atop his giant cranium? That is his usual pose for Castaway Cay days - ha the wonderful memories!
    Beth

    And, Scott, by the way -- it is just like you to find the loophole in the rules I lay down. Really?? You're thinking lots of thoughts?!

    ReplyDelete