Friday, July 16, 2010

DATELINE: Friday, July 16, 2010 Route 66, USA

Ah, the trip is coming to a close and we have to report that we've had a truly wonderful time.  To close out the spirit of nostalgia and disbelief representative of this 40 Years of Marriage trip we decided to give a you a glimpse of yesteryear in the form of our latest tourist activities:

Now I have to tell you that this sign was painted on the side of a place where we intended to eat dinner.  Note the word "intended."  I mean our hand was on the door and about that time we glanced through the grime covered front window and literally ran for our lives.  Let's just say the Zagats isn't going to list Aggie's Mexican Dinners anytime soon.  We fled to a place recommended by the clerk at the auto parts store (another story entirely and I know a matter of great controversy to even ask an auto store clerk's culinary opinion) but I have to say the Mesa Italian Restaurant was actually really, really good.  I don't mean just Holbrook, Arizona good - I mean good.

We no more than got on Route 66 this morning than we ran smack dab into the location Disney had to have used to design the movie Cars!  Simply compelling and fun and imagination grabbing!  Don't you want to stay there?

More money in old cars out front than you can imagine.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the picture of the tire store next door that was a dead ringer for Luigi's and Guido's Tire Emporium in the movie.  Fabulous I tell you!


Do you see Mater sitting there?  Do you?  Huh?

A sad day arrives tomorrow:  our last day on the road.  If you've enjoyed traveling along with us and haven't weighed in on Facebook or the blog we'd sure love to hear from you.  Doesn't matter whether we know you or not, we feel like you've become our travel buddies for the last 6 weeks, 14 states and over 8,000 miles!
Feel free to email us at bethdansie@sbcglobal.net   or baramore@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment