Saturday, March 3, 2012

Hitting the Long and Winding Road Once More...

Greetings!  Greetings everyone!  The Dansie's are back on the trail of adventure.  I'm hoping for a little less adventure than our Yukon Debacle of last fall but based on the sights we've already seen it may be too much to ask.  We left from home at the crack of 11 this morning and jounced our way down I-5 headed for --- ta da -- Disneyland of course!  I say "jounced" because that is what we do in California when we drive.  We're saving all our money for a bullet train, you know.  Jouncing is a combination of bouncing and teeth jarring jerks that take place as you try to negotiate your vehicle between potholes large enough to eat the tow vehicle... Yes, this is an interstate highway, our showpiece roadway of California wealth and dreams -- but lest you get your hopes too high, keep in mind that the technologically superior 200 mph train between the geographically challenged cow towns of Fresno and Bakersfield has sapped California's transportation budget without a single inch of track yet laid - hence a nearly impassable I-5.

And, by the way, how would one view the incredible sights we saw from the Tourbus window today from a bullet train, I ask?  You wouldn't!  You couldn't!  We were no more than 2 hours from home when we passed the residence of the most fantastic hand dryer in the History of the World!  I'm not kidding you!  The blower on this things has been hooked to a freakin' jet engine!  It provides endless entertainment as you blow your skin around the top of your skeleton and does a fair impression of the facial distortion of skydiving if you put your face under it!  You gotta try this thing if you come to California.

We saw literally thousands of cute little bunnies all over the very dry fields of Central California, hawks too numerous to identify individually, a dead calf in a field and, after accumulating billions of suicidal bees on our windshield we even got to see full-on, for real, live and in-person beekeepers setting out new hives.  It explained a lot about the windshield.

We are settled in for the night with Wick and Gwen in the next campsite at the Bakersfield RV Resort.  For regular followers of the blog, yes, this is where I had the unfortunate "caught in public naked" event last summer but I'm not going to let Barry ditch me like that again this trip.

As always we hope you'll follow along on our travels and we especially hope you'll send us your comments and questions.  We love hearing from you and it keeps us from turning on each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment